[Freedombox-discuss] Translation Platform

Danny Amir Haidar dah2180 at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 12 21:12:51 UTC 2017

 Hey everyone,

I'm emailing to ask for feedback on a matter related to the community's
preferred translation platform.

For those who I haven't yet met, I'm a new member of the FreedomBox
community and I've been interning at the FreedomBox Foundation in New York
since the beginning of June. Much of my work is in outreach, and one of my
projects is the expansion of our translation efforts. I mentioned my
translation efforts in the most recent Progress Call this past weekend, but
I will briefly summarize my efforts for those who could not join the call.

I've been talking to an organization called Localization Lab to widen the
translation efforts for FreedomBox. Localization Lab is a global community
of volunteer translators who support the translation and localization of
open source Internet freedom tools. The community translates more than 50
tools into over 180 different languages and dialects. In the past, they
have worked with TOR, GnuPG, Tails, Crpytocat, and others in the FOSS
community to translate software interfaces, manuals, and online content.

Yesterday, I had a call with folks at Localization Lab and there is mutual
interest in a partnership. To be specific about what this partnership would
look like, LL would help us translate our software and our online content
at a pace of our choosing. As far as software goes, I've been told that
there is still some fine-tuning to be done for the Plinth interface, so
that could be a place to start. Here is a preliminary plan to consider:
●LL begins and finishes translation of Plinth interface into languages with
little to no current support: Hindi, Gujarati, Telegu, Tamil, and others
(please feel free to suggest changes to this list of languages)

●LL finalizes translations of Plinth interface into languages with
substantial yet incomplete support: Chinese, Persian/Farci, and others

●LL translates the FreedomBox Foundation’s website (new website should be
live later this summer)

●LL is  ready to translate FreedomBox's content whenever new promotional
material or user manuals are ready

If we go through with the partnership, we would need to decide the
translation platform. I read through the discussion list archives and saw
that FreedomBox decided to use Weblate instead of Transifex for a number of
reasons. Though FreedomBox migrated to Weblate with much success in
December 2015, the Localization Lab community largely uses Transifex. LL
gave us the option to either migrate back to Transifex with their help or
to continue using Weblate. If we continue to use Weblate, LL would just
need to put extra work into directing their translators to our Weblate site
since only a minority of translators use it.

What do you all think about the platform choice? Do people want to stay on
Weblate? Or do people want to migrate some translation projects to
Transifex in the interest of translation speed and language diversity?
Please let me know what you think.

Localization Lab did ask that we weigh our options and get back to them
whenever we can. We can talk further on the next progress call as well.

Best,
Danny Haidar