[Freedombox-discuss] Low Cost Community Wi-Fi Networks

Bob Mottram bob at freedombone.net
Thu Mar 23 11:27:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 08:58:36PM +0530, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
>I recently had an opportunity to work with an team on setting up a low
>cost community Wi-Fi network in a village nearby here in India.  I wrote
>an article about it.  It is attached.

This sounds like a good achievement. An idea to extend this to multiple
locations might be to have two wifi adapters on the system, one running
the typical infrastructure mode and the other running batman-adv with a
network bridge set up between the two. Then you could maybe do VoIP
between villages in a way which doesn't require any special additional
configuration and which doesn't depend upon existing telcos.

I will probably try making something like this as a test system to see
how feasible it is.