[Freedombox-discuss] Outreachy: December 2017 to March 2018 (Joseph Nuthalapati) (Katerina Kabardi)

Leni Kadali Mutungi lenikmutungi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 16:37:04 UTC 2017

> Hi Leni Kadali Mutungi,
>
> I wonder who comes up with the topic for each project, is it the interns
> themselves?
Not as far as I can tell. James Valleroy and Sunil Mohan Adapa were
involved last time around, so I think it is the core developers of the
project who suggest the ideas to mentor and submit them to Debian. At
least that is what it would like to me, given that the FreedomBox
projects are at present listed under Debian's umbrella so to speak.

> As far as I know, FreedomBox suffers from two major problems:
> 1. accessibility - the ability to reach one's FreedomBox over the internet
> 2. backup - providing a secure backup mechanism to be able to protect
> against data loss
>
> #2 has been addressed partially with work from an intern who worked with
> us on Tahoe-LAFS.
> #1 will be a great project to work on for someone willing to spend 3
> months on it.
>
> The details of #1 haven't been worked out yet, but if the solution is
> going to be blockchain-based I can help. I have some experience building
> a blockchain-based solution as part of another open-source project
> called sovrin. Maybe I can provide some mentoring if required.
In this case, you'd state what the necessary skills for the project
are, what would be good to have and what the intern will learn through
working on the project. That's a quick overview of how most projects
are presented.

> I would gladly work on the new card-base UI and I would highly
> appreciate if you or someone else be able to mentor
> me at the beginning. I agree that breaking up the large features
> into smaller bite-sized chunks is a very good idea. I will help me
> or any other newcomers to get involved with the project.
>
> Right now I'm working on #536
> <https://github.com/freedombox/Plinth/issues/536>
Hey Katerina.

Great that you've started work. If possible could you mention mray in
these issues [1] and [2] and say you want to give it a shot. Hopefully
it will get you a more direct response since he's the one who proposed
it initially.

[1] https://github.com/freedombox/Plinth/issues/739
[2] https://github.com/freedombox/Plinth/issues/749

--