[Fsf-Debian] The question behind the questions [was No response?]

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Sun Aug 5 03:05:06 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 12:12:13PM +1200, Brian Baldwin wrote:

> How many nonfree packages did you actually remove from the distribution?

There aren't any non-free packages in Debian, silly! Please ask a question
that makes sense.

> Is denying the Debian distribution a listing on FSF actually throwing
> stones?

No, I was referring to... well... the content of your communications make a
good example. This is distinct from the FSF's listing policy. One of the
larger goals of this effort is freeing up the efforts of the developers who
are currently engaged in re-branding Debian. Duplicated effort means that new
work isn't being accomplished.

> If Debian wants to get on the free distribution list, Debian developers
> need to get to work on actually making the distribution free

You seem to be confused on an important point - Debian is entirely free. It
happens to work without error if people include the non-Debian Contrib and
Non-Free repositories. It's probably worth clearing up your misunderstanding
so we can proceed with rational discourse. We're not arguing that Trisquel is
distributed from servers that also serve up non-free software, but that's
also beside the point.

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 02:24:50PM +1200, Brian Baldwin wrote:

> So then you say, that over there, that's not part of us. We love freedom.
> Its they who are ruining it for everyone.

I don't think anyone's suggest that offering users choice is "ruining it" for
anyone.

> Its not worthy of the attention of a thinking person.

Intelligent people know how to compromise to accomplish shared goals.

--
 Mason Loring Bliss         mason at blisses.org        http://blisses.org/
"I am a brother of jackals, and a companion of ostriches."  (Job 30 : 29)