[Fsf-Debian] No response?

Ben Finney ben+debian at benfinney.id.au
Mon Aug 6 04:13:46 UTC 2012

Clint Adams <clint at debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 01:40:31PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > [The Debian project claiming that ‘contrib’ and ‘non-free’ are part
> > of Debian] would be the lie. They are not part of Debian.
> Do you understand how a sane and honest person might disagree
> with you given the preponderance of evidence?

A sane and honest person could disagree if they were ignorant of the
Debian project's social contract. Which does not apply to people
participating in this thread, nor the Debian project members.

There is a preponderance of evidence that the Debian project owns the
‘contrib’ and ‘non-free’ sections, which I've been saying and which the
Debian project's social contract says clearly.

This is entirely consistent with the fact that those sections are not
part of Debian, by definition. It's also consistent with sane and honest
people, ignorant of that definition, disagreeing.

Which is why I'm asking us to get past that, because we're not ignorant
of that definition and it's the only definition that matters for saying
what is actually part of Debian.

--
 \           “It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in |
  `\    trouble. It's the things we know that ain't so.” —Artemus Ward |