[Fsf-Debian] No response?

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Mon Aug 6 08:22:07 UTC 2012

Op 06-08-12 00:22, Karl Goetz schreef:
> On Sun,  5 Aug 2012, 23:04:20 EST, Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl
> <mailto:paul at vandervlis.nl>> wrote:

>> I think this is all possible, except the point about the mailing lists.
>> In my opinion there should be "freedom of speech" on the lists.
>
> Aiui the problem is in promoting - or being seen to promote -
> proprietary software. 'Everyone' knowing about a repository wont count
> against a distro unless it gets promoted by official channels.

When e.g. the DPL would be asked about the changes during an interview,
he should have the freedom to explain it. In my opinion that's something
else then promoting nonfree.

When an DD answers a question about wifi in a mailinglist he should have
the freedom to tell about nonfree.org. I don't mean something official,
but to help an individual user.

And I even think that in some cases it is maybe necessary to indicate
the existence of nonfree.org in documentation on the wiki. Not to
promote nonfree software, but not everybody has the money to buy
hardware what runs with free firmware. At the moment, most cheap
mainboards (95%?) are using a Realtek network chip what needs nonfree
firmware. But not sure, most people can find things with Google and friends.

>> > Unless the majority of Debian's movers and shakers are happy with and
>> > excited about the prospect of doing all of the above, I don't think
>> > Debian will *ever* get to the point where its a fully free
>
>> I am sure you would like to have a free bios, a free router, free
>> (cell)phones, a free TV and a free DVD player. Do you have them allready?
>
> I have been Pretty close :)

Ah ;-)

With regards,
Paul.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl