[Fsf-Debian] Non-free firmware question during install

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Mon Aug 6 20:49:13 UTC 2012

Op 06-08-12 19:50, Andrei POPESCU schreef:

> Well, than let's address this problem and reword the text as to warn
> against non-free firmware instead of hiding the issue under the carpet
> on the premise that some firmware may be free.

Can you try to find those words?

I've tried it, the result was not nice. And if you want to give a
possibillity to load firmware, then it can be interpreted as
recommending non-free firmware. Please try it.

> AFAICT (but I'm not an expert) the chances to have a driver in the
> kernel, but no firmware in the corresponding firmware-linux package is
> quite slim (new hardware wouldn't have a driver either).

The change of having a driver in the kernel but no firmware on the
Debian install media is really big with new hardware at the moment.
I told to somebody: "95% with cheap hardware". Maybe that's a bit
overdone, but it's difficult at the moment.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl