[Fsf-Debian] No response?

Adam Bolte abolte at systemsaviour.com
Tue Aug 7 07:19:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:05:41AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl> writes:
>
> > Op 06-08-12 13:50, Karl Goetz schreef:
> > > perhaps nonfree.debian.(org|net) could be used.
> >
> > I don't think that's a good idea.
> > Debian would still distribute nonfree software.
>
> Clint Adams <clint at debian.org> writes:
> > On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 09:00:14AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > That's going to happen by the Debian project's social contract. Are
> > > you proposing that social contract should be broken?
> >
> > 169 people voted to fix the social contract last time around.
>
> Sure. And I'm asking Paul here whether he wants that social contract
> changed, or something else to happen instead.

As long as the DSC continues to state that use of non-free packages are
supported, I'd be very surprised if the FSF would ever add Debian to the free
distribution list. If this is important to us (and I'm not suggesting anything
either way), I expect this point on the social contract must be changed.

In any case, it seems that this will be clarified soon enough.

-Adam