[Fsf-Debian] Suggested wording...

Ben Finney ben+debian at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 10 01:26:08 UTC 2012

Mason Loring Bliss <mason at blisses.org> writes:

> It occurred to me that we might be able to better segregate Debian and
> the non-free repository if we make it explicit that it's not part of
> Debian and that it limits your freedom in distinct ways.

We're still waiting (with differing degrees of patience) for officials
at the Debian project and the FSF to publish a statement on what it is
that would in principle satisfy the FSF's requirements for listing
Debian as a free software operating system.

But I think it's safe to assume that “make it explicit in a message not
displayed by default, while many other official sources of information
direct Debian users to non-free software” will not be good enough, since
that's exactly what we have now.

--
 \      “Nullius in verba” (“Take no-one's word for it”) —motto of the |
  `\                                   Royal Society, since 1663-06-30 |