[Fsf-Debian] few arguments to FSF

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Fri Aug 10 19:57:31 UTC 2012

Op 10-08-12 19:42, Adam Bolte schreef:

>> The opposite would be good possible: somebody can make hardware what
>> works 100% OK with free drivers/firmware. I think that would be really
>> good.  And we all need to help selling them.
>
> I agree, and I'd love to see that. If such a laptop were available where I
> live, I would purchase it next time I'm in the market for a new machine.

That's not really what I mean.

There are many people who like free software and who have influence in
what hardware is bought in big organizations. That's what I mean.

> However, my understanding is that even Yeeloong - the only manufacturer of
> laptops that run 100% free software - also sell laptops that don't work with
> 100% free software due to an ATI graphics chipset or some such. Again, this
> would confuse purchasers.

Not sure you know more or less the I know. So far I know the ATI chipset
(Radeon HD 3200) works with open source drivers, and without the closed
source firmware.

But there are some bugs when you do not use the closed source firmware,
not sure of the state of those bugs.

> In my case, I simply go without. If I can't browse web pages using free
> software, I simply visit other websites that I can browse fine. The user may
> not have much choice about what hardware they have, but they surely have a
> choice about what sites they visit.

Maybe I am not so far as you are in this point...

> I don't agree that it's important at all - unless the Debian project distances
> itself *completely* from nonfree.org.

Hmm. Does gNewSense distances itself *completely* from Ubuntu?

I think people who use gNewSense and who really need some nonfree
driver, will go to Ubuntu.

>> You say it: "while still pushing proprietary software..."/
>
> Yes. Microsoft distribute Windows, which is proprietary software, just as the
> Debian project distributes lots of proprietary software in non-free right now.

When it's moved to nonfree.org they don't do that anymore.

>> I know all about it, I sell computers with Debian pre-installed. And I
>> buy the hardware for it. And what I say: we need a manufacturer who
>> would make a "free" line.
>
> So you agree that it's quite a burden?

Yes, it's difficult to buy affordable hardware for free software.
The biggest problem is the speed at which it changes.
At the moment I really know it's good, there is a new product.

With regards,
Paul.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl