[Fsf-Debian] few arguments to FSF

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Sun Aug 12 14:22:07 UTC 2012

Op 12-08-12 08:39, Adam Bolte schreef:

> I also agree - if there were any possibility of such a FSF-free repository to
> be created, it would need to be exclusively FSF-free software, or it would
> miss the point.

Normally I don't use FSF-free documentation from non-free. But there is
a situation where I would use it: when the information on the internet
is too new, and my software is older because it's from Debian stable.

I think it would be good to make many little repositories all with own
rules.

E.g. in my country it is not a problem to distribute or use codecs with
software patents, like gstreamer0.10-lame or libdvdcss2. I think it
would be good to create a repository for it.

In my opinion it is not an easy task to create a repository, search
system for packages and a bug-tracking system.
It would be good when somebody would make this more easy by making a
nice manual, or a completely configured VM what you can download (hmm,
nice idea!).

Yes, I understand that quality is important and there is a risk that
some people will make repositories with shit. But we could create a
label what says something about the technical quality of a repository.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl