[Fsf-Debian] Non-free firmware question during install

Paul Wise pabs at debian.org
Thu Aug 16 05:36:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> Two examples of a free alternative firmware:
>
> http://esec-lab.sogeti.com/post/2010/11/21/Presentation-at-Hack.lu-:-Reversing-the-Broacom-NetExtreme-s-firmware

No code was ever released AFAICT, looking at the presentation I guess
any reimplementation would have to mostly do the reverse-engineering
from scratch.

> http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Free-Firmware-for-Broadcom-WiFi-Chips

Doesn't look like it is developed any more. In addition it only
supports old hardware that doesn't fit into current laptops. I bought
a miniPCI card supported by OpenFWWF but I didn't know that there are
multiple miniPCI form factors so it is basically unusable unless I can
find some sort of adaptor to put it into a desktop machine.

http://www.ing.unibs.it/~openfwwf/

--
bye,
pabs