[Fsf-Debian] direct non-free contamination in main

Michael Gilbert mgilbert at debian.org
Sun Dec 2 21:06:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> In a sense, this is essentially to assess if Debian system with only
> "main" activated in apt shows current non-free/contrib packages in
> "depends" or "recommends" field.  So non-direct contamination by
> "provides" generated by non-free/contrib packages under non-free/contrib
> enabled apt environment is not considered.
>
> Results are:
>  * There will be no packages listed in "depends" nor "recommends" in the
>    automatic install position.
>    (flexbackup NMUed and capi4hylafax about to be fixed.  Thanks Mike.)
>  * 16 main packages list non-free/contrib package as an alternative choice even
>    if "non-free"/"contrib" are not activated in apt.
>    - 10 non-free/contrib packages are the cause of this contamination.
>  * This stat misses contamination instances by sun-java5-jre and sun-java6-jre
>    which are very widespread.
>    (These 2 packages contaminates 34 packages as I quickly checked.)

I don't think its time yet to discuss these issues.  Until the tech
committee decides #681419 all of these are allowable.

Like I've requested before, we really need an official FSF opinion
statement on this so the tech committee has a sufficient basis to make
their decision:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/fsf-collab-discuss/2012-October/000302.html

Ultimately that decision will only impact jessie and later.

Best wishes,
Mike