[Fsf-Debian] direct non-free contamination in main

Osamu Aoki osamu at debian.org
Sun Dec 2 07:46:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

I should have mentined that the policy decision for "Alternative
dependencies on non-free packages in main" is the pending bug #681419
at tech-ctte:

  http://bugs.debian.org/681419
  Alternative dependencies on non-free packages in main
  Package: tech-ctte
  (It has not been decided as bug and it remains as an open.)

On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 10:58:33AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> > This is to show how small is the dependency contamination issue even if we
> > consider secondary alternative in depends or recommends as the dependency
> > contamination.  (we have over 60,000 packages).
> >
> > I understand small number does not mean it does not need to be addressed.  If
> > FSF really think it is important not to have such in our main, this small size
> > of affected packages opens more chances to solve issues without much negative
> > impacts, I think.
> >
> > (I myself do not wish to change status quo of Debian on this if FSF do not care
> > about this.  But I also think if we can accomodate FSF wish without much
> > negatives, why not do it.)
>
> I would suggest this mail should instead have been sent to
> debian-devel and be a mass-bug-filing discussion (as per devref 7.1.1)
> since these are policy violations and bugs.

So it all depends on the policy decision on bug #681419.

If this is not considered as policy violation, it will be good
candidates for wishlist bugs to address FSF cooperation better.

Since this cooperative alignment between FSF and Debian requires so many
facts to be understood, I am just reporting it to here to illucidate
issues to identify gaps.  If this is not important for FSF, there is no
need to change.  That is something we need to hear from FSF side people.

> I note that motif is now free software:
> http://bugs.debian.org/691393

Yes for 2.3.4 but wheezy is frozen as 2.3.3.  Once new version is
uploaded for jessie, this goes away.  That makes even less problem.

Osamu