[Fsf-collab] first idea

Grant H. sirgrant at member.fsf.org
Fri Jul 6 03:08:37 UTC 2012

Also keep in mind with the chromium-bsu example debian may have gotten
permission under the new license but this wiki-page is for ALL distros
endorsed by the GNU project.  Not all of them are based on debian.  For
example Parabola GNU/Linux is based on Arch.  Now I don't know the
specifics about this particular package chromium-bsu but I imagine while
some of the free distros that get their packages upstream from debian
this is not a problem.  But since Parabola doesn't get their stuff from
debian this package may still be a problem for them because they might
have it under a different license which is why it is still valid.

On 07/05/2012 07:49 PM, Jason Self wrote:
> Paul Wise said
>> This list seems out of date, for example chromium-bsu upstream (me)
>> switched to the clarified artistic license
>
> That seems to be exactly what the entry says:
>
> "...under the Clarified Artistic License since version 0.9.14.1. Distribute that
> (or something based on it) and you're fine."
>
>> I would suggest that instead of this wiki page, folks should have used
>> a list of unreported/unreportable issues and where possible file bugs
>> against Debian (with appropriate usertags) (and upstream) and remove
>> them from that wiki page.
>
> My understanding is that the FSF-endorsed distros do that (I know gNewSense
> does.) This list is often used to provide guidance that fully free distributions
> needs to use version X of or greater of a program to avoid problems, which is
> why the entry for chromium-bsu is there.
>
> I'll also point out ACE, for example, where the "Recommended Fix" is to use
> version 6.0.1-1 or above. That entry also includes a reference to the Debian bug.

*Grant H.
*Email: ghoulgat at alumni.uci.edu
*Ask me for my GPG key
*I'm a FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!
<http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=8999>

--
*Grant H.
*Email: SirGrant at member.fsf.org
*Ask me for my GPG key
*I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!