[Fsf-collab] Random thoughts...

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Fri Jul 6 20:12:52 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 03:46:08PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> So, are there any concrete thoughts on what would actually be a viable
> solution from the FSF perspective on this?

There are, but I've failed to secure permission to share them, so we'll have
to assume that they'll be presented more formally, perhaps after more folks
have had a chance to join the list.

> Removing contrib and non-free is simply not an option. That violates the
> Debian social contract and was defeated in a general resolution eight years
> ago

Yeah, that matches my expectations of the bounds here as well. I'm hoping
that there are alternatives suggested that are palatable for both groups
involved. I don't know what those would be. I'm looking forward to being
surprised.

> If the FSF is truly about promoting maximal freedom (in a its most general
> context), then restrictions on Debian's (and of course all other's)
> endeavors and choices should not be one of its pursuits.

This is easy to answer - they're very specifically concerned with four
specific varieties of freedom, detailed here:

With this in mind, they can't reasonably support Debian if Debian includes
some of the content of contrib and non-free.

The Debian social contract

    http://www.debian.org/social_contract

explicitly notes that contrib and non-free are not part of the Debian system,
but the installer, for instance, allows them to be integrated. It seems like
Debian could make small moves to satisfy the FSF's qualms on these points
effectively.

I'm not sure the FSF can reasonably argue about what data exists on various
servers. The FSF endorses Trisquel, for instance, and Trisquel's listed
mirrors include sites that also host Debian's non-free components. I'd have
to think that simply not referring to contrib and non-free in the installer
or documentation would suffice. Perhaps those components can be maintained by
a sister organization, and Debian could refer to that organization when it
feels the need arise. I don't know. That may end up being more work than
folks are willing to do to satisfy the FSF. On the other hand, the FSF
doesn't have a terrific amount to gain from relaxing their standards and
endorsing Debian without these changes. It's probable that most of the Debian
supporters out there that are in a position to support the FSF directly
already do so.

Waiting for surprises, here...

--
Mason Loring Bliss           mason at blisses.org           Ewige Blumenkraft!
$awake ? $sleep : int rand 2 ? $dream : $sleep; -- Hamlet, Act III, Scene I