[Fsf-collab] Random thoughts...

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Fri Jul 6 20:20:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 10:13:52PM +0200, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:

> I understand that distributing non-free software is a problem. But why is
> Debian non-free just by mentioning or linking to non-free-software?

By my standards, that doesn't make it non-free. But we're not here to discuss
my standards. :P The FSF has, effectively, drawn a line in the sand, and it's
their line to draw. And, truly, the world's a better place for their efforts,
just as it's a better place for the efforts of the Debian project.

They also don't endorse the BSDs, and if the goal were simply to find the
software that limits users the least, that'd be what they endorsed. But
they're not looking for that, they're looking for enforced sharing, or
freedom-with-a-stick. That said, Debian's goals are *so close* that I really
do think the impedance mismatch and be smoothed out without vast amounts of
pain.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             mason at blisses.org            Ewige Blumenkraft!
(if awake 'sleep (aref #(sleep dream) (random 2))) -- Hamlet, Act III, Scene I