[Fsf-collab] Random thoughts...

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Fri Jul 6 23:17:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 06:30:00PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> Would it really lead to a "ruinous" confluence of negative events if the
> FSF were to recommend Debian main (even though contrib/non-free continue to
> exist quite separately)? Or have the indirect consequences of the FSF's
> long-standing divisiveness against friends been a far greater detriment to
> their real goals?

I think we're here, now, and regardless of the past, we're seeing interest
from both sides in resolving some differences.

Perhaps the piece you linked on non-free games indicates a softening of the
stance; regardless, there's a definite opportunity to align the two projects,
which will ultimately have the effect of getting free software and the notion
of self-determination into more peoples' hands: Debian demonstrating that a
group of skilled volunteers can produce world-class software, free and built
with free tools, and with a reliability unique in the industry, and the FSF
providing tools and inspiration, and educating people about the amazing
things they can do if they share their intellectual wealth.

Mason Loring Bliss   ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason at blisses.org     ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped
http://blisses.org/  ((   from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tagore