[Fsf-collab] Some top items from nonfree

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sat Jul 7 15:14:48 UTC 2012

On 07/06/2012 01:01 PM, Bryan Quigley wrote:
> I understand that removing nonfree is not currently realistic (and making
> DebianExtended might be the only short term option).

I'm not convinced that DebianExtended even makes sense, myself.
Non-free is already not part of debian's official distribution.

Do we have an official statement from the FSF that the existence of
non-free (and what about contrib?) are the core of their concerns with
debian?

> I'm wondering if
> there might be some low-hanging fruit in nonfree?  Do we want to do
> outreach to projects in nonfree and see if they have the best license for
> their purposes?   Doc and data seem like the most likely candidates.

I like this idea, but i'm not sure how to go about it.  Can you explain
how you'd like to proceed?  The different projects in non-free have
potentially very different reasons for not adopting a DFSG-free license.

Convincing the upstream of every package in non-free to change their
license seems implausible, so that means that some packages would likely
remain.  How would that affect the FSF's concerns?

	--dkg