[Fsf-Debian] [Fsf-collab] Random thoughts...

Henry Jensen hjensen at gmx.de
Sun Jul 8 12:11:43 UTC 2012

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 12:11:44 +0200
Alessandro Matsetes Mazza <matsetes.gnu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that the user should have the possibility to access to the
> non-free software that he want to use. It will be very good for example
> that, when he try installing a non-free software or looking an info
> about non-free software, a pop-up appears and told the user that "This
> is very bad for you, because it's non-free software, use it only if you
> haven't got any alternatives. Be VERY careful!".

The FSF's policy is not to use any non-free software at all. Using
non-free software isn't an alternative. So the statement "use it only
if you haven't got any alternatives" is not an option.  Instead it
should be "Don't use it", period.

If there is no alternative to the non-free software one should reject
it nevertheless. If that means that e. g. the hardware can't be used
properly then one should change the hardware.