[Fsf-Debian] GNU Emacs docs (and GCC and others) are not DFSG free

Bryan Quigley gquigs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 00:09:33 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I re-stumbled upon what I think does the worst disservice to both
Debian and the FSF.  The company I work for enabled nonfree on some
machines solely for the purposes of getting GNU Emacs documentation.
I'm guessing many other have done this as well.

I do not believe the Wikipedia modifications to the license have any
effect on this [1].

I would argue that the attribution clause (in
CC-Attribution-ShareAlike and the like) and the FSF website should
have the affect desired, in spreading the core principles of free
software, etc.

Thoughts?
Bryan

Relevant pages: