[Fsf-Debian] GNU Emacs docs (and GCC and others) are not DFSG free

Bryan Quigley gquigs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 04:47:57 UTC 2012

> Could you elaborate on what action you're suggesting?

The biggest issue I see are the "invariant" sections, which according
to RMS was
"...to make sure that distributors of Emacs that also distribute
non-free software could not remove the statements of our philosophy,
which they might think of doing because those statements criticize
their actions."

At the time, that may have made more sense.  Individuals received more
software via disk, and internet access was not as accessible.

What I would do (IANAL):
 * License it under CC-Attribution-ShareAlike
 * As Attribution#1, link to http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
 * As Attribution#2, put down a link too emacs authors, website, etc

This gives the extra benefit that the philosophy statements are always
up-to-date.   In addition, the FSF could alert users who come from
distributions that have freedom issues about what they are
specifically (by user agent or installed plugins).

Thanks,
Bryan