[Fsf-Debian] [Fsf-collab] Random thoughts...

Ben Finney ben+debian at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jul 16 12:28:16 UTC 2012

Paul Tagliamonte <paultag at debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 03:45:37PM +0200, Henry Jensen wrote:
> > - There are some free software which recommends non-free software.
> > The perhaps most popular software is Firefox, which connects to
> > addons.mozilla.org which lists non-ree plugins. So does Debians
> > Iceweasel. So Debian must remove this recommendations from it's
> > software (e. g. use GNU Icecat or patch Iceweasel accordingly)
>
> We should also block nonfree websites, like gmail, google, yahoo.

Please don't raise straw men like that. There is a large difference
between allowing the sites you mention versus directing the user to
install non-free software on their computer.

Henry is only talking about the latter in this point, it is relevant to
the effort being discussed in this forum, and your mischaracterisation
is unfair.

> There is non-free software, our users will use it, and pretending it
> doesn't exist is a pretty bad idea.

Again, Henry is not proposing that; please address the points he is
actually raising.

--
 \     “We are human only to the extent that our ideas remain humane.” |
  `\                          —_Breakfast of Champions_, Kurt Vonnegut |