[Fsf-Debian] Silent here

Daniel Martí mvdan at mvdan.cc
Wed Nov 21 13:46:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 02:39:02PM +0100, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Very silent here.
>
> In my opinion it's not a good idea to make Debian FSF-free at the
> moment. But what we should do is to make Debian "almost FSF-free" and
> make some steps in the good direction.

What will be a good moment?

> In my opinion we could do the following:
> 1. Move the non-free and the contrib repository from the debian.org
> domain to another domain name, under control of DD's.

This has been proposed many times before. Moving these repos away from
Debian as a project has been amongst the top priorities.

> 2. Change the installer in a manner that no non-free firmware is advised
> anymore, but that you still can use it.

I like this idea. Maybe support the feature in the Advanced mode.

> 3. Remove recommendations or suggestions to non-free software in packages.

This is in the process, and is a requirement for point #1 to be
accomplished.

> What we cannot do at the moment is remove non-free and contrib
> completely, and we also cannot remove all documentation about non-free
> software and firmware.

I don't see why would that be a problem, given point #3 was met.

--
Daniel Martí - mvdan at mvdan.cc - GPG 0x58BF72C3