[Fsf-Debian] Silent here

Michael Gilbert mgilbert at debian.org
Fri Nov 23 19:24:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> In my opinion we could do the following:
> 1. Move the non-free and the contrib repository from the debian.org
> domain to another domain name, under control of DD's.

Not sure what this actually gains.  If non-free is objectionable, and
it still exists, and still supported by debian developers, then whats
the point?

Then again, I think there are some things that could be done to help
differentiate non-free non-free components on pages like
packages.qa.debian.org/rar, bugs.debian.org/rar, etc.  Maybe coloring
those pages red with a header saying something like "This page
includes information about a non-free package.  Please see this FSF
link about non-free and your software freedom".

> 2. Change the installer in a manner that no non-free firmware is advised
> anymore, but that you still can use it.

I'm planning to submit bugs about these issues (after the wheezy release).

> 3. Remove recommendations or suggestions to non-free software in packages.

Already mentioned, but that is tech committee bug #681419.  The best
thing that could happen there would be an FSF opinion statement, which
I already requested:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/fsf-collab-discuss/2012-October/000302.html

Anyway, this really gets to the heart of the matter.  We really have
no idea what actually needs to be done because there have yet to be
any official FSF statements or suggested guidance to go on.  We really
need that to before we can find a place to start.

Best wishes,
Mike