[Fsf-Debian] Silent here

Jason Self jason at bluehome.net
Sat Nov 24 02:57:35 UTC 2012

Mason Loring Bliss said:

> It's not included as a part of Trisquel, but alongside it on the
> same hardware.

Can you point to a concrete example? The only one I can think of would
be mirrors that also mirror other GNU/Linux distributions, thereby
picking up the non-free software from those other distributions and
not from Trisquel.

So what you're referring to isn't software hosted by and on Trisquel
hardware but on third party hardware run by that third party. You may
as well point out that $random_web_site also distributes proprietary
software. By that logic as long as they also have a copy of Trisquel
on their server Trisquel is responsible for what that site is doing,
or that if I were to have Debian .isos and Windows .iso on my server
that the Debian Project is somehow responsible for that as well, which
they clearly are not.

In contrast, the Debian Project states that they officially support
this software, tell people how to use and install it, provide
infrastructure for it, and, as you've pointed out, the same people
work on both so the lines are a little more blurry here.