[Fsf-Debian] Silent here

Bryan Baldwin bryan at katofiad.co.nz
Mon Nov 26 03:13:46 UTC 2012

On 11/25/12 18:44, Jason Self wrote:
> Although there may be other arguments to use as to why creative works
> should be free. However, we should remember that they're not called
> the Free Culture Foundation.

Funnily enough, I work in computer science, but my degree is originally
in studio art, so I have an interest in the cultural / non-technical
side, too. I, too, think that there are some cases where the commons
could be enriched by allowing modified versions in cases of works of
aesthetic and conceptual beauty. But modification of expressions of
opinion and personal views is not needed to preserve user's freedoms
culturally or technologically. Unlike software, the user's freedom is
intact with or without permission to modify such works, so long as
permission to copy and redistribute are preserved.