[Fsf-Debian] Silent here

Bryan Baldwin bryan at katofiad.co.nz
Mon Nov 26 07:53:14 UTC 2012

On 11/26/12 17:41, Paul Wise wrote:
> I don't agree with this, if there is anything I've learnt from the
> Internet, it is that parody is important. Unfortunately it is not
> protected under the copyright law of some jurisdictions, so we need
> authors to give permission to adopt and modify and make fun of their
> works of opinion.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody#Copyright_issues

Parody is important, but is well far and beyond the purview of
distributed computer systems. There is no control that can exerted over
a computer through the unlikelihood that parody of a non-technical work
might be in jeopardy some place in the world. If the possibility of
action, however unlikely, in any jurisdiction that might be somewhere in
the world, were real cause to exclude a package, patents would mean
virtually everything would be in non-free. Nothing is completely risk
free, but parody litigation over GFDL works is the closest thing to 0% I
could possibly think of.

Was parody litigation ever a consideration when moving GNU docs to non-free?