[Fsf-Debian] gap assessment

Bryan Baldwin bryan at katofiad.co.nz
Thu Nov 29 22:30:38 UTC 2012

On 11/30/12 02:29, Osamu Aoki wrote:

I think that analysis is quite sound. But I would add something to:

> 1) Exclusion of GFDL documentation of some essential software packages.
>    This may be weak objection point from FSF based on "Complete Distros".

If not being a complete enough distribution isn't a bar, having to
enable non-free to get access to FSF free documentation isn't
acceptable, nor is it likely that Debian will change to accommodate
different license terms for different types of works in main.

I think the obvious solution is a `merge` repo, within which any package
acceptable to FSF and unacceptable for Debian `main` can be put. That
way FSF free users have what they need without enabling access to
non-free, and licensing terms in Debian main remain consistent. GFDL
works are probably the only packages that would be there, if so maybe
call it gnu-docs or gnu-gfdl.