[Fsf-Debian] rar/unrar

John Sullivan johns at fsf.org
Thu Oct 18 09:39:02 UTC 2012

Paul Wise <pabs at debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>
>> evince only 'Suggests' unrar, so it at least won't get installed
>> automatically; although you're right, why is it doing that.  Please
>> file a bug report requesting that the unrar suggests be replaced by
>> unrar-free.  I didn't look at ocular, but if its the same situation,
>> another bug report is the best approach.
>
> unrar-free does not support current RAR formats, so please don't suggest that.

Which formats are those?

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/free-rarv3-extraction

I think this is the unar package in main.

If this doesn't cover new formats, FSF would like to know about it.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.