[Fsf-Debian] rar/unrar

John Sullivan johns at fsf.org
Thu Oct 18 17:16:13 UTC 2012

Paul Wise <pabs at debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM, John Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Where is this contesting happening?
>
> First I noticed was the clamav bug I mentioned earlier in the thread.
>
> I also started a private thread between the RAR folks and The
> Unarchiver author that was CCed to the Debian ftp team and
> licensing at fsf.org (ticket #720777).

Right, I read that thread, and the conclusion I saw was that there was
no substantiated evidence of a copyright problem, or reason to think
that a claim was going to be pursued. I'm surprised if you drew a
different conclusion.

To relate it to the list topic, FSF's decision is that it is appropriate
for an FSF-endorsed distribution to include unar (but not mandatory of
course). Whether Debian wants to include it in main is up to Debian, but
I hope that if you reached a different conclusion from the same thread
or from other conversations, I hope you'll let me know directly.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.