[Fsf-Debian] rar/unrar

John Sullivan johns at fsf.org
Fri Oct 19 07:35:30 UTC 2012

Paul Wise <pabs at debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM, John Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Right, I read that thread, and the conclusion I saw was that there was
>> no substantiated evidence of a copyright problem, or reason to think
>> that a claim was going to be pursued. I'm surprised if you drew a
>> different conclusion.
>
> I thought it was fairly clear from these two mails that there was not
> just black-box reverse-engineering going on.

How so? I just see an unevidenced assertion made by the company, and the
author saying that his code is original. We have no reason not to take
the author at his word (by lying he would only be putting himself at
risk) and every reason to doubt the assertion of someone who stands to
gain from squashing a replacement for their software.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.