[Fsf-Debian] Deciding how Debian depends/recommends non-free packages

Andrei POPESCU andreimpopescu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 09:04:29 UTC 2012

On Sb, 27 oct 12, 10:43:18, Jason Self wrote:

> Someone may configure their package manager to automatically install
> suggested (free) packages from Main but don't want non-free packages
> automatically installed (as indicated in the bug someone may have
> non-free enabled for other, unrelated purposes.) Making sure that this
> also covers the Suggests: field seems consistent with:

From my experience on debian-user (and other support channels) users are
more likely to configure the package manager to *not* install
Recommends[1]. While possible, configuring the package manager to also
install Suggests is unheard of. I only see value in covering Suggests in
order not to "induce" users into using non-free software.

[1] mostly because of bloat (real or not)

Kind regards,
Andrei