[Fusioninventory-devel] new generic injection feature

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 20:25:00 UTC 2011

Hello.

I just dropped the obscure and undocumented software-only injection
feature from 2.1.x branch
(FusionInventory::Agent::Task::Inventory::OS::Generic::Packaging::ByHand),
in favor of a more generic one.

The new agent switch --additional-content allows to pass a file whose
content will automatically get merged with the current inventory. This
allows to override any value incorrectly identified (instead of
enumerating particular cases into various modules), or to add
undiscoverable content, such as manually installed software.

Reusing already-existing XML inventory format for this file seems the
best idea, as users are expected to know it already. It just adds an
useless top-level node around the content:
<REQUEST>
  <CONTENT>
      <SOFTWARES>
          <NAME>mysoftware</NAME>
          <VERSION>42</VERSION>
      </SOFTWARES>
  </CONTENT>
</REQUEST>

It was my last planned change to agent engine for 2.2.x. I just have a
few inventory modules specific issues to fix before releasing an alpha
version.

--
BOFH excuse #99:

SIMM crosstalk.