[Glibc-bsd-devel] GNU/kFreeBSD LiveCD

Joshua Cummings jrac@tsn.cc
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:11:18 +1000

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 17:02 +0200, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> 1.  I can ls, cat and pipe to more, but when I tried to look at the
> mounted filesystems df gave the following:
>
> df: cannot read table of mounted file system. No such file or directory

That's a known bug. You need to specify a mountpoint, eg. df -h /

> The machine is a VIA mother board with 1 Gig of memory. There is a hard
> drive available, but I don't boot from it. (I mostly run a Gnome
> remastering of Knoppix completely in ramdisk)
>
> Is there any way to load this BSD CD image into ram?

Huh? It is loaded in to the ram...

> I have lots more questions. Is there a web site/document source that
> would give me a better idea of what I'm looking at and what I should
> expect from it?

There's the install guide
(http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/kfreebsd/install.html) and
everything else in kfreebsd/.

Looks like it might be a good idea if I commit that faq I mentioned the
other day...

> BTW, what does the "k" in "GNU/kFreeBSD" mean?

It means the operating system uses just the kernel of FreeBSD, as
opposed to a port that might use the kernel *and* the C library,
userland etc.

--
Joshua Cummings