[Glibc-bsd-devel] GNU/kFreeBSD LiveCD

Dale Scheetz dwarf@polaris.net
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:51:22 +0200

Thank you for the link Joshua. That will definitely help.

Thanks also to Robert and Guillem for all the great answers.

After trying out GNU/kFreeBSD I ran across the FreeBSD 2.9 rescue CD:
1. Under 10 Meg (Total ISO image)
2. Loads completely into ramdisk
3. Provides Midnight Commander
4. F2 in mc provides a very nice introductory help
5. Seems to have all the standard 'nix commands
6. Everything works

I'm not trying to be nasty or anything like that, but this would be a
good target to aim for. (understanding manpower limitations better than
some)

As for loading into a ramdisk, both Puppy (Yet another live CD Linux)
and the FreeBSD 2.9 rescue CD simply put the whole system into the
initrd file and let the boot process load the ramdisk. Knoppix on the
other hand has a not-too-complex init script that copies some things to
the file system on the ramdisk and links others from the CD to the
ramdisk (for readonly security)

I could look into doing a "toram" option...

I think I have just subscribed to the list (sent subscribe subject to
glibc-bsd-devel-REQUEST@lists.alioth.debian.org). I guess I'll know
shortly ;-)

Soon,

Dwarf