New kernel package for GNU/kFreeBSD

Aurelien Jarno aurelien at aurel32.net
Sun Aug 7 17:44:27 UTC 2005

Hi all,

We now have new a kernel package, which match the new kernel naming
scheme in Debian. The source and the .all.deb packages are available in
unstable, the .kfreebsd-i386.deb packages will be uploaded to gnuab.org
when it is back online.

The source package named kfreebsd-5 builds three binary packages:
 - kfreebsd-image-5.3-1         The kernel binaries
 - kfreebsd-headers-5.3-1       The headers to build modules
 - kfreebsd-source-5.3          The kernel source

Thus, it replaces both kfreebsd5 and kfreebsd5-source.

For various reasons, we do not provide an upgrade path from the old to
the new kernel. So you will have to install the new version manually.
As both old and new kernel are essential packages, you will have to
force apt to install it, as shown below:

  hertz:/# apt-get install kfreebsd-image-5.3-1
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree... Done
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    kfreebsd5
    kfreebsd-image-5.3-1
  WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
  This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
    kfreebsd5
  0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Need to get 7126kB of archives.
  After unpacking 81.9kB disk space will be freed.
  You are about to do something potentially harmful.
  To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
   ?] Yes, do as I say!
  Get:1 http://ftp.gnuab.org unstable/main kfreebsd-image-5.3-1 5.3-3 [7126kB]
  Fetched 7126kB in 38s (185kB/s)
   This is an essential package - it should not be removed.
  (Reading database ... 11895 files and directories currently installed.)
  Removing kfreebsd5 ...
  Selecting previously deselected package kfreebsd-image-5.3-1.
  (Reading database ... 11507 files and directories currently installed.)
  Unpacking kfreebsd-image-5.3-1 (from .../kfreebsd-image-5.3-1_5.3-3_kfreebsd-i386.deb) ...
  Setting up kfreebsd-image-5.3-1 (5.3-3) .
  hertz:/#

Note that a bug report has been sent against crosshurd so that
kfreebsd-image-5.3-1 instead of kfreebsd5, so that new installations use
the new package.

Bye,
Aurelien

PS: I have net access here, but the SSH connections freeze to often to
    be able to stay on IRC. I am reading the logs though.

 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux developer | Electrical Engineer
 `. `'   aurel32 at debian.org         | aurelien at aurel32.net