Minutes of GNU/kFreeBSD IRC meeting 20050731
aurelien at aurel32.net
Tue Aug 9 23:09:23 UTC 2005
Please find attached the minutes of the last meeting. Sorry to be a bit
.''`. Aurelien Jarno | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
: :' : Debian GNU/Linux developer | Electrical Engineer
`. `' aurel32 at debian.org | aurelien at aurel32.net
`- people.debian.org/~aurel32 | www.aurel32.net
-------------- next part --------------
GNU/kFreeBSD IRC meeting, July 31, 2005
The third Debian GNU/kFreeBSD meeting was held from 19:00 UTC to 21:00
UTC on Saturday July 31th.
Due to the holidays of lot of developers, the next meeting will take
place in *three* weeks, on Sunday August 21st at 19:00 UTC.
aurel32: Aurelien Jarno
bal00: Hector Garcia
braindmg: Guillem Jover
nyu: Robert Millan
otavio: Otavio Salvador
tarzeau: Gürkan Sengün
1) nyu explained that x.org is almost totally ported for -5, except a
tiny patch for manifest. He would try to merge the patch before the
next upload of xorg.
2) otavio announced that he would help to port debian-installer to
GNU/kFreeBSD. To start the port, we basically need deboostrap
working, that means we need to have a complete base system in
unstable. Here is the list of packages that have to be ported:
- freebsd-utils (it is getting smaller, but there is still a lot of
stuff in this package)
- procps (it is basically ported, but there is some problems
dealing with the maintainer)
- glibc (port to 2.3.5 in progress, maybe we can use version 2.3 at
- busybox (nyu will try to port it during its holidays)
- apt (otavio will try to merge the patch needed for kfreebsd)
- dpkg (upload is pending)
- ufsutils (upload to unstable is pending, udebs have to be created).
We also need to have a kernel that fits onto a floppy, which means
that a lot of stuff has to be put as modules. This also mean that
hardware detection should work on GNU/kFreeBSD.
Parted has also to be ported to be able to partition the hard disks.
3) braindmg has splitted the pool on gnuab.org. There is now one pool
for hurd-i386, one for kfreebsd-i386, and one for knetbsd-i386. That
makes now possible to upload .all.deb packages, and thus the packages
have now to be built with -b. That's already case for the
braindmg expects that it will soon be possible to also have
binary-all-only packages in gnuab, so that the kfreebsd-i386 could be
self contained. He is also working on auto-obsoleting the old
versions of the packages.
4) nyu made a pair of nice improvements in livecd.sh, ie. cdboot and
writable filesystem. He asked for more people to test it. When the
crosshurd bug (#319778) is solved, it will be possible to release
a new version of the livecd.
5) braindmg will upload ufsutils to unstable soon, and will then add
support for udebs.
6) A few work is still need to libbsd before braindmg or bal00 would
upload it to unstable. It includes splitting the header files and
checking if nothing else is missing.
7) aurel32 explained the new kfreebsd-5 package is now in a good state
and it will be possible to upload it to unstable soon. otavio asked
if the package also provides udebs for debian-installer.
aurel32 answers that it is currently not the case, and we need to
decide if the udebs has to be build by this package or by another
package getting its source from kfreebsd-source-5.3.
8) aurel32 said he has almost finished to setup io.debian.net, the Debian
developer machine that will be hosted by ETH Zürich. He expects to
ship it to tarzeau on tuesday. When it is installed, we will have to
send a mail to debian-devel-announce that also includes some propaganda
a about GNU/kFreeBSD.
9) aurel32 explained he hasn't done much work on glibc, because he worked
on the debian developer machine and on the autobuilder.
New action points
* nyu: port busybox
* braindmg: upload ufsutils to unstable
Opened action points
* aurel32: rebuild all packages that are still using
* braindmg: work on util-linux
* aurel32: add java support to gcc
* braindmg: send a status of the port to debian-devel
* aurel32: finish porting glibc-2.3.5
* aurel32 & braindmg: fix our packages that are modifying
build-depends at build time
* somebody: port libkvm in a clean manner
Closed action points
More information about the Glibc-bsd-devel