Minutes of GNU/kFreeBSD IRC meeting 20050731
rmh at aybabtu.com
Thu Aug 18 09:36:03 UTC 2005
On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:46:18AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> >> - busybox (nyu will try to port it during its holidays)
> >Also done. I'll send the patch to upstream soon.
> Is it fully ported, or did you disabled some parts of the source?
busybox is not the kind of package that can be "fully ported". It includes
lots of very Linux-specific commands and features. Some of them would need a
complete rewrite to work on *BSD kernels.
In bug #323670, you can see a list of config options that had to be disabled
(the upstream files have a similar list, but I think it is the same diff).
>From that list, maybe some of them can be recovered:
- dmesg can be rewritten portably by reading from _PATH_KLOG, but you need
to hack some workarounds if you want it to: work more than once, be
runable as user, etc.
- Guillem ported fdisk for util-linux. Maybe his work can be reused.
- ping and ping6 are written portably in inetutils. I haven't checked bb's
- swapon and swapoff rely on kernel calls that are almost the same, but
probably contain other unportable stuff.
- uptime should work via /proc, but they're probably using sysconf or the
More information about the Glibc-bsd-devel