glibc, linuxthreads, floating stacks

Aurelien Jarno aurelien at aurel32.net
Wed Dec 14 15:47:24 UTC 2005

Petr Salinger a écrit :
> Hi all!
>
> During last search due to problems with thread signaling
> I found cmd I386_SET_GSBASE for sysarch().
> This is similar to linux-2.6 set_thread_area().
>
> It is rather easy to enable FLOATING_STACKS in glibc/linuxthreads
> for our current kfreebsd-5 kernel. The same syscall can be also
> used later to enable __thread keyword and whole TLS.
>
> The attached pt-machine.h should go into
> glibc-2.3/linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/bsd/bsd4.4/kfreebsd/i386/i486/pt-machine.h
>
> It applies to both glibc 2.3.0 and 2.3.5, successfully tested with 2.3.0.

Looks ok to me, it would be nice if somebody could apply it? If I
remember correctly there is something to pass to configure to enble
__thread. Am I right?

> BTW, is there any progress for glibc 2.3.5 ?
I am currently very busy (with non Debian stuff), and have difficulties
to find time to read my mails. The c2a transition also make me a bit
busy, as almost of all the work is done via binNMUs on the autobuilders.
So in short, there has not been much changes on glibc. I hope that it
will change at the beginning of 2006.

> Can I help with something ?
I have recently found that in glibc 2.3.5 the support for non RT-signals
in linuxthreads has been removed. It will really causes a problem for
us. I don't know if it could be restored easily. Maybe it is possible to
have a look if it is also the case in glibc 2.3.2, and maybe to port our
current patches using two steps, as other changes between 2.3.2 and
2.3.5 seems to be minor for us. By that I mean glibc 2.3 -> glibc 2.3.2
-> glibc 2.3.[5,6].

Bye,
Aurelien

  `. `'   aurel32 at debian.org         | aurelien at aurel32.net