glibc 2.3.6 status

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Fri Dec 23 15:02:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 02:59:40PM +0100, Petr Salinger wrote:
> >After Aurelien's fixes now DNS seems to be working flawlessly.  I tested
> >system reboot and a few other common tasks and they worked.  However, I
> >have
> >problems with X/KDM. I could determine that X server works fine, but there
> >are
> >some weird problems affecting all KDE apps.  gdb, being partialy broken,
> >didn't reveal any information in backtrace.  So all I know is:
>
> >$ konsole
> >DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-2333' to 'kded'
>
> Could you guess something from ktrace ?

I had only a quick look to ktrace.  gdb provided this information:

  0x290bda72 in QFileInfo::setFile(QDir const&, QString const&) ()
     from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3

  (when I use a libqt with debugging symbols, stack is corrupted and the
  backtrace just contains garbage)

So now I looked for SIGSEGV in the ktrace -i output, and I found two ocurrences:

   534 kdeinit  CALL  nlstat(0x80a4530,0xbfbfd90c)
   534 kdeinit  NAMI  "/usr/share/icons/hicolor"
   534 kdeinit  RET   nlstat 0
   534 kdeinit  PSIG  SIGSEGV caught handler=0x293048c0 mask=0x80000000 code=0xc

   [and just a few lines after that]

   530 kdeinit  GIO   fd 2 wrote 50 bytes
       "DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-533' to 'kded'
       "

   [ MUCH later in the log, same thing happens ]

   525 konsole  CALL  nlstat(0x8097698,0xbfbfd92c)
   525 konsole  NAMI  "/usr/share/icons/hicolor"
   525 konsole  RET   nlstat 0
   525 konsole  PSIG  SIGSEGV caught handler=0x2944f8c0 mask=0x80000000 code=0xc

Both times the same code, as it is part of libqt3-mt.  However, libqt3-mt's
sources have no instance of "nlstat" (or even the /usr/share/icons/hicolor path)
I couldn't find any documentation regarding this kernel call, but it seems that
Linux doesn't have it.  Are we really supposed to be using it?

--
Robert Millan