RFC: ABI break

Petr Salinger Petr.Salinger at t-systems.cz
Sat Dec 24 02:59:07 UTC 2005

Hi.

I thought about it, here is an another approach:

Bump soname intentionally to libc0.2 and clean up our glibc interface.

- no difference between xxx and xxx64 (in both data structures and functions)
	now it is valid for off_t,
	but not for fsblkcnt_t, fsfilcnt_t

- require minimal kernel version 5.x
 	basic glibc requires 5.0
	linuxthreads requires 5.4 with our modifications

- use user space data structures based on FreeBSD 6.0
	now it is based on obsolete 4.x
	compatibility with 5.4 should be without problems,
	see syscalls diff below

- require only syscalls available on FreeBSD 5.x
	shouldn't be problem,
    	diff between 5.4 and 6.0:

         445     AUE_NULL        MNOSTD  { int audit(const void *record,
  	 446     AUE_NULL        MNOSTD  { int auditon(int cmd, void
  	 447     AUE_NULL        MNOSTD  { int getauid(uid_t *auid); }
  	 448     AUE_NULL        MNOSTD  { int setauid(uid_t *auid); }
  	 449     AUE_NULL        MNOSTD  { int getaudit(struct auditinfo
  	 450     AUE_NULL        MNOSTD  { int setaudit(struct auditinfo
  	 451     AUE_NULL        MNOSTD  { int getaudit_addr( \
  	 452     AUE_NULL        MNOSTD  { int setaudit_addr( \
  	 453     AUE_NULL        MNOSTD  { int auditctl(int cmd, char
  	 454     AUE_NULL        MSTD    { int _umtx_op(struct umtx *umtx,
  	 455     AUE_NULL        MSTD    { int thr_new(struct thr_param

- kfreebsd-kernel-headers based on FreeBSD 6.0

- prepare with support for amd64 in mind

Petr