RFC: ABI break

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Thu Dec 29 18:54:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 06:54:21PM +0100, Petr Salinger wrote:

> Just now, there is some ABI skew, exposed in libqt3-mt.

Btw, I haven't been able to determine the offending code.  Any idea why gdb
(freebsd-gdb) fails to print a backtrace?  Could be some stack corruption
issue?

> But I don't know reason for this ABI change.
> There might be more similar problems.
>
> We should collect pros and cons for all approaches,
> test new glibc and decide later, based on results.

Yeah.  If ABI change is not mandatory for glibc 2.3.5, I agree that it should
wait.

> Since there are no redefinition of syscalls, structures passed between
> kernel space and user space should be compatible.

Are you sure? They could keep the same struct name, but different content.
We've seen upstream break ABI in insane ways like that before.

> Even if some structure changes completely,
> we can emulate changes inside libc. Just now we
> convert from newer kernel structure into older user structure.
> We can do it also in opposite way.

Ah, good point..

--
Robert Millan