#debian-tech discussion log (was: Fwd: Archive architecture qualification)

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Sat Dec 31 09:59:52 UTC 2005

Aurelien grabbed a log of the talk:

  http://temp.aurel32.net/debian-tech-log-20051230.txt

In the discussion, participate Guillem (braindmg) and me (nyu).

Relevant info follows.  I try to put a short conclussion, but I don't garantee
that it is representative (read the real stuff).

  - Document made by Aj that describes requirements:

      http://ftp-master.debian.org/archive-criteria.html

  - Discussion about user requirements, starting with:

      13:22 < nyu> it'd be useful to know what is the criteria when there are multiple lists (e.g. popcon and accounts in a shell server), and it's not possible to weed out duplicates

      Conclussion:  ((io number of accounts) + (popcon machines - 1) > 50)  == OK

  - Discussion about weird biarch support requisite, starting with:

      14:03 <@aj> oh, biarch needs a mention
      14:03 <@aj> why shouldn't gnu/k*bsd be bi/triarch anyway?

      Conclussion:  we can keep the same kernel abi, but we have to explain/justify how future knetbsd port could re-use major parts of our package set

  - Discussion about libc ABI stability (Hurd-centered, but it also might affect us), starting with:

      15:17 <@aj> nchip: no, they need to be sensible before being in the archive; that includes working out combinattions of kernel/ABI and assigning them to debian architectures in order to minimise the number of architectures, and also (hopefully) getting a stable ABI that won't need to be changed in future

      Conclussion:  avoid libc ABI changes like the plague

--
Robert Millan