RFC: ABI break

Aurelien Jarno aurelien at aurel32.net
Sat Dec 31 10:22:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 05:57:42PM +0100, Petr Salinger wrote:
> > > Just now, there is some ABI skew, exposed in libqt3-mt.
> >
> > Btw, I haven't been able to determine the offending code.  Any idea why gdb
> > (freebsd-gdb) fails to print a backtrace?  Could be some stack corruption
> > issue?
>
> Can you please retest again with latest glibc-2.3-head ?
>
> I have kfreebsd system without monitor, with remote X forwarding over ssh.
> In this configuration konsole from fresh chroot looks fine.
> I tested with glibc 2.3.5-9 + rev 951 + patch from rev 960.

I also have the problem here. I have tested using a smaller Qt only
application (I used esvn, but other also segfault), it seems it is
easier to debug.

I tried to rebuild Qt against the newest glibc, and the problem is the
same. Qt does not even build completly because it segfaults, however the
shared library is built correctly. That's seems to say is not an ABI
problem, but a bug in the glibc and/or Qt, something like data in
different format.

Here is a backtrace with gdb:

Starting program: /usr/bin/esvn

0x2874cab2 in QFileInfo::setFile(QDir const&, QString const&) (
    this=0xbfbfd2f0, d=@0x0, fileName=@0xbfbfd2e8) at tools/qfileinfo.cpp:335
335         fn  = d.filePath( fileName );
Current language:  auto; currently c++
(gdb) bt
#0  0x2874cab2 in QFileInfo::setFile(QDir const&, QString const&) (
    this=0xbfbfd2f0, d=@0x0, fileName=@0xbfbfd2e8) at tools/qfileinfo.cpp:335
#1  0x2873468d in QDir::readDirEntries(QString const&, int, int) (this=0x0,
    nameFilter=@0x0, filterSpec=0, sortSpec=0) at tools/qdir_unix.cpp:222
(gdb)

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time today to have a look, I'll have a
look tomorrow afternoon.

Bye,
Aurelien

 `. `'   aurel32 at debian.org         | aurelien at aurel32.net