kFreeBSD 6.0 packages

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Sun Sep 4 18:46:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 03:58:53AM -0400, Robert Edmonds wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> This time I have built packages[0] from the RELENG_6 kernel, which was
> not quite as easy as the 5.4 packages.  6.0 requires a new config(8), so
> I started work on a freebsd6-buildutils package[1], but ran into build
> errors with some unrelated components.

Cool =).

Btw, just in case you run through my old 6.x packages (for kernel and
buildutils) in svn, don't hesitate to nuke them.  They were forked from their
5.x counterparts long ago, and are totaly obsoleted now.

> Compared to a stock FreeBSD 6.0 kernel, this one:
>
>   - has no nvenet driver, which is a non-free Ethernet driver for nForce
>     motherboards.
>
>   - has no hwpmc[2] driver, which caused build errors.  But this driver
>     is not present in 5.x.

Strange.  What kind of build errors?  Could you paste?

>   - does not have SMP support.

Why not?

> This one will need more testing, as it breaks some rather important
> things like sshd:
>
> debug1: Entering interactive session for SSH2.
> debug1: server_init_dispatch_20
> debug1: server_input_channel_open: ctype session rchan 0 win 65536 max 16384
> debug1: input_session_request
> debug1: channel 0: new [server-session]
> debug1: session_new: init
> debug1: session_new: session 0
> debug1: session_open: channel 0
> debug1: session_open: session 0: link with channel 0
> debug1: server_input_channel_open: confirm session
> debug1: server_input_channel_req: channel 0 request pty-req reply 0
> debug1: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
> debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req pty-req
> debug1: Allocating pty.
> openpty: Invalid argument

Sounds like ktrace output could help a lot.  Glibc openpty obtains a path string
using pts_name(), and then attempts to open() it.  Later there's termios magic
and an ioctl.  Which of them returns EINVAL?

--
Robert Millan