ld.so path

Aurelien Jarno aurelien at aurel32.net
Sat Feb 25 16:31:00 UTC 2006

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:09:53AM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 09:27:48PM +0100, Petr Salinger wrote:
> > > Btw, I just discovered that 64bit kFreeBSD doesn't support running 32bit
> > > binaries at all.
> >
> > No, at least FreeBSD 6.0 supports running 32-bit FreeBSD binaries.
> > I tried (one month ago) install/live disk
> > of FreeBSD 6.0 under qemu, with mounted partition of kfreebsd-i386.
>
> Ah, I haven't tried with 6.0.
>
> > FYI: I have access to real amd64 machine, but the current
> > partition table uses dos extended partition and FreeBSD 6.0 installer
> > doesn't work with it, moreover, it destroyed it :-(((
> > The machine also has only unsupported forcedeth ethernet card. :-(
>
> It can be used with "nve" (it's one of the non-free drivers we removed from
> stock kernels).
>
> > > So perhaps this discussion is useless, and we should just use the same
> > > as on ia32 like FreeBSD does (ld.so.1 in our case).
> >
> > No, even if FreeBSD32 emulation doesn't work for us just now correctly,
> > we should choose name unique between all (at least Debian) ports.
> >
> > My impression is:
> >
> >  -  we can agree on ld.so "file name" - ld-kfreebsd-x86-64.so.1.
> >  -  there are two variant for "dir name": "/lib" or "/lib64"
> >
> > Is this impression correct ?
>
> Yes.  As for /lib64 I tend to agree with you.  We don't have only two-side
> 32/64 options, but also linux32/linux64 ones, so I think we should go for
> something flexible like /usr/<cpu>-<kernel>/ (I think this is the multiarch
> standard?).

The standard for multiarch is to use (/usr)/lib/$(host tripplet) for
libraries, which means
/usr/x86_64-kfreebsd-gnu for us. The latest glibc in Debian (2.3.6-2)
supports that.

However, please note that this can't really be used, as that would mean
we need to patch the Debian packages, which is not really possible.

We will do the multiarch transition in GNU/kFreeBSD at the same time as
the rest of Debian.

 `. `'   aurel32 at debian.org         | aurelien at aurel32.net