glibc 2.3.5 and gcc-4.0 4.0.3-6

Aurelien Jarno aurelien at aurel32.net
Thu Jan 12 15:53:36 UTC 2006

Hi all,

While trying to do test build of the glibc, I have found that builds
fails when done with gcc-4.0 version 4.0.3-6 whereas it builds correctly
with version 4.0.3-5. Note that the version uploaded to gnuab.org has
been built with version 4.0.3-5.

Actually the problem is that all statically linked binaries segfault at
runtime. During the build process, it is the case of elf/sln, but other
binaries like ldconfig are also affected.

I have quickly looked at the changes of this version of gcc:
 * Update to SVN 20060104, taken from the gcc-4_0-branch.
     - Fix PR target/25199, miscompilation with -mtune=pentium4.
     - Merge java pc label patch (jar compilation issues).
     - Fix PR libstdc++/25421, catching exception from codecvt_byname()
       segfaults. Closes: #343108.
     - Fix PR rtl-optimization/23837, wrong code with REG_NO_CONFLICT notes.
       Closes: #325131.
     - Fix PR objc/25328, ICE in get_indirect_ref_operands.
       Closes: #342662.
     - Fix PR rtl-optimization/21041, ICE: output_operand: Cannot decompose
       address. Closes: #326026.
     - Fix c++ ICE in resolve_overloaded_unification. Closes: #342098.
     - Fix PR c++/25364, ICE with function pointer as template parameter.
       Closes: #336021.
     - Fix PR c++/25625, compilation failure with -frepo. Closes: #345550.
   * Fix Ada support for GNU/kFreeBSD (Aurelien Jarno).
   * Configure --with-tune=i686 on ix86 architectures (on Ubuntu with
     -mtune=pentium4). Remove the cpu-default-* patches..
   * Fix FTBFS of boehm-gc on arm with stricter binutils.
   * Fix check target for hppa.
   * debian/control.m4: Fix libxxgcc package names.
   * Rename libgcj7-common to libgcj7-jar.
   * Introduce a gcj-4.0-base package to completely separate the gcj and gcc
     source packages and not duplicate the changelog in each gcj/gij package.
   * Symlink more doc directories.
   * Update the build infrastructure to build cross compilers
     (Nikita V. Youshchenko).
   * debian/control.m4: Explicitely set Architecture for biarch packages.
   * Remove binary packages from the control file, which aren't built
     yet on any architecture.
   * libffi [arm]: Add support for closures, libjava [arm]: enable the gij
     interpreter (Phil Blundell). Addresses: #337263.
   * gcc-hppa64: Use /usr/hppa64-linux-gnu/include as location for the glibc
     headers, tighten glibc (build-)dependency.

I'll bet the problem comes from either the SVN update or the
--with-tune=i686 changes. I have tried to look at the difference on the
assembly code, but it seems the -mtune flag has changed a lot of thing.

It would be nice if somebody can have a look at that, as I won't have
time until the week-end.

Thanks,
Aurelien

 `. `'   aurel32 at debian.org         | aurelien at aurel32.net