status of amd64

Petr Salinger Petr.Salinger at t-systems.cz
Thu Jan 19 11:43:27 UTC 2006

>> * biarch capable kfreebsd-kernel-headers
>>         similarly to linux-kernel-headers,
>>         all files in /usr/include/machine should be autogenerated in form
>>         on kfreebsd-i386
>>                 #ifdef __x86_64__
>>                 # include <amd64/param.h>
>>                 #else
>>                 # include <i386/param.h>
>>                 #endif
>>         on kfreebsd-amd64
>>                 #ifdef __i386__
>>                 # include <i386/param.h>
>>                 #else
>>                 # include <amd64/param.h>
>>                 #endif
> Is this really a pre-requisite for starting an amd64 port ?  Maybe we can make
> it "uniarch" first and add biarch support later.  This is what the GNU/Linux
> port did AFAIK.

It is rather easy to do it now.
See debian/generate-asm.sh in source of linux-kernel-headers.

>>         the first step is to provide content of dir amd64,
>>         it would be sufficient for test builds of glibc

And the first step is to add into debian/rules of kfreebsd-kernel-headers something like

 	bi_kfreebsd_cpu = amd64
 	cd $(SRC_DIR)/sys/$(bi_kfreebsd_cpu)/include \
                 && find . -type f -name "*.h" -exec cp --parents {} $(HEADERS_PACKAGE)/usr/include/$(bi_kfreebsd_cpu) \;

Petr