status of amd64

Petr Salinger Petr.Salinger at t-systems.cz
Sat Jan 21 12:56:02 UTC 2006

> What do you mean by cross? On GNU/Linux, the toolchain is biarch on both
> amd64 and i386.

Cross compiler used for bootstrap, configured for only one target.
Either linux-amd64 -> kfreebsd-amd64 or kfreebsd-i386 -> kfreebsd-amd64

> I think it will take some time until
> we have bi-arch support in kfreebsd-i386.

It depends on whether is possible to have 64 bit kernel
and completely 32bit userspace with FreeBSD.

Given it works as on Linux, it will be rather easy to
start with biarch on i386:

- biarch binutils for kfreebsd-i386
	simply add to debian/rules:
	ifeq ($(DEB_HOST_ARCH),kfreebsd-i386)
        	CONFARGS += --enable-targets=x86_64-kfreebsd-gnu
	endif

- biarch gcc-4.0 for kfreebsd-i386
	small tweaks for proper switches for ld, as, may be register names
	have to be bootstraped due to dependency on libc0.1-dev-amd64

- biarch kernel-headers
	adapt biarch from linux kernel-headers

- biarch glibc
	add another pass for libc0.1-dev-amd64/libc0.1-amd64

- kernel for amd64 with 32bit emulation enabled
	built on kfreebsd-i386 using "gcc -m64"

Petr